Remodelling the kitchen from scratch can be a seriously expensive exercise, so these tips are restricted to the mini-facelift variety. You probably spend a lot of time in this room when you think about it, so why not make it look great? If you’re planning to sell your house, it’s one of the most important rooms to get right.
1. Spray paint your cabinet doors. You can buy a home spray painting gun from a hardware store and do this yourself. It’s great fun and easy to achieve a professional looking result. Even if you’re renting, your landlord might be okay with you doing this, and spray painting uses less paint, keeping the costs down.
2. Update your lighting. This is a low-cost way to make the room look more modern in an instant. Lots of kitchens don’t have enough lighting; if yours is one of them consider adding rope lights or another form of plug in lighting.
3. Paint the ceiling. Kitchen ceilings collect grime and grease, resulting in stains over time. Repaint the ceiling for an affordable improvement.
4. Modernise and organise your storage. A set of matching glass containers for storing items like pasta, cereal, coffee, tea and other frequently used foodstuffs will help keep them fresh and well organised, with a greater level of visual appeal as well. Add labels for ease of use.
5. Have a utensil holder on the bench. Keep frequently used cooking tools close at hand and save rifling through drawers whenever you need them.
6. Use a knife block. For the same reason.
7. Place a rug in front of the sink. Choose a durable fabric, but something soft enough to add to your comfort level as you stand and cook.
8. Pretty curtains. Something cheap and cheerful that complements the lighting fixtures and general look of the room.
9. Add a large blackboard. Fun and practical for kids and adults alike, you can write up shopping lists, thoughts for the day or a menu for dinner.
10. Hang pans on the walls. If you’re struggling with a lack of cupboard space, this can be a good solution, one that adds to the aesthetics of the room as well.